Monday, October 4, 2010

T-7 One week

This and That vs Eddie Bauer.  Two stores so diametrically opposite it isn't funny.  One is on Leeman Ferry Rd, the other the Summit in Birmingham.  Eddie Bauer is a high end outdoor clothing store, This and That is a military surplus store!  Today my journey took me to This and That to find that elusive duffel.  Now I didn't go there with the expectation that I would find a fancy compression strap, high density low weight fabric duffel in a bag that costs almost $60.00.   This and That, on Leeman Ferry Rd, provides a much simpler service, cheaper prices all in a no frills atmosphere.  Backing up a bit (history) a month ago I purchased a large over sized duffel from This and That.  I planned to use it to put my large oversized backpack in so I could check it on the plane and it not be destroyed.  Well as it turns out that duffel was too big.  With said duffel in one hand and the reciept in the other I went shopping.  The sales clerk was more then helpful and within five minutes I found a simple duffel, no compression straps, no frills but just right.  After all was said and done I even left the store with a $6.48 refund from my previous purchase in my pocket.  Balance due from the original purchase price on the first duffel! 
They say you should never judge a book by its cover, well that applies to stores too.  I received excellent service in both stores this weekend, high end vs no frills no difference.  The biggest difference, however, is that the duffel I purchased today cost $16.00 not $60.00.   The moral of the story, not all duffels are created equally, but if you look beyond the frills and check out the stitching you might find no frills is just right!  Now that is one more thing can be checked off the list.  One more week and the adventure to Africa begins!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment